Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Nam on Facebook: Confederate Flags on 119

This is an old post I saw in my Facebook feed, but thanks to unruly computers not wanting to install Flash updates, here it is!

Look, I'm willing to grant the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe someone moved up here from the south or that maybe they support the more southern defenses of the Confederate flag, but I do see the point of this status. The heritage defense up here only makes sense in pretty specific circumstances.

That said, I don't think the heritage defense of the Confederate flag is a strong one. It still ignores a major part of the cause of the Confederacy--slavery. And it's possible to be proud of one's heritage without supporting the uglier aspects of it, which the Confederacy certainly was for the south. It's like loving your racist grandpa while acknowledging that he says some things that aren't okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment