Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Night on the Town: 'Million Dollar Quartet'

Like I said, I'm living over in Washington now. Typically, if I'm coming into Uniontown to go to the State Theatre, it's for Geibel's annual music, but their shows have been getting more and more impressive. They almost reeled me in with Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal of Rent fame in the spring, and the only reason they didn't is because I already spend tons of money on event tickets and just didn't get that one squeezed in. But they got me for Million Dollar Quartet next weekend!

(I keep making the typo "quarter" instead of "quartet," so if you notice it anywhere...)

I saw this show a few years ago when it came through Pittsburgh and I won tickets through my job, and my brother and I loved it. And I think Fayette County will love it, too. For starters, the whole thing revolves around the classic music of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins, who all famously were together one night and one night only for a recording session. It was probably the most epic jam session in music history, really, and the show is a fictional retelling of what happened that night with a little plot thrown in. It's technically a musical, but not in the big song-and-dance-number way--it's more like watching a very, very good tribute concert, so if you're not a fan of musicals, don't worry! I think you'll enjoy it. It's also short, I believe clocking in at around an hour-and-a-half long without an intermission. It's a great choice for the State Theatre to host, really, and you should go.

Tickets are also quite affordable, with the most expensive being $40 and the cheapest at $25, plus some options in between. And there are still plenty available on sale now through the theater's website.

The show is next Sunday, Sept. 23, at 7. And look, I've been in Fayette County blogging retirement for months and my two posts this week were about this and Nguyen's and no one's paying me to do this, so you know I really want to see a packed theater next Sunday night. Go have fun! I promise it's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment