Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Couple has trouble selling "Silence of the Lambs" house

UPDATE: The price on this has been lowered again--apparently for the fourth time--to just under $225,000.

I wasn't going to post about this, but CNET picked up the story. And the combination of some of their wit with the fact that this is catching on outside of local news inspired me. I mean, my personal favorite is the line, "Maybe they could throw in a basket of lotions to sweeten the deal?"

The famous house from "The Silence of the Lambs" known as the dwelling place of serial killer Buffalo Bill has been up for sale since last summer--apparently, no one's buying. But is it the "serial killer" part that has people staying away? Nah. It's probably just the asking price, which currently sits at $250,000, down from the original price of $300,000.

Now, I may not be an expert in county real estate, but I know enough to know that $250,000 is still too high for an old house in Layton, no matter how big and no matter its Hollywood history. Sure, the movie might add some value, but not enough to justify the price, and I can't imagine the average Fayette County buyer even cares. And if people around here are willing and able to drop $250,000 on a house, they're probably gonna spring for something a little nicer, or something that's not right next to train tracks, or something newer. I mean, based on experience in my childhood, you know what my first thought is when I see an old house? It's, "Man, that's probably a bitch to heat in the winter. No thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment