Monday, August 22, 2011

Sometimes, We're There When News Happens

You may have caught on the news Sunday a story about a bad motorcycle accident in Fayette County Saturday night. I was right down the road when it happened, at my cousin's house for an end-of-summer party.

The official story is that he lost control of his bike. And really, I know no more details than that. I do know how things unfolded, to an extent.

I don't remember hearing a bike leave the bar, but others do. With that location and a bar right there, noisy vehicles go through a lot and you kind of don't react. I do remember around 10 p.m. hearing the fire whistle, followed by loud sirens that obviously went right by us. About an hour later, a few of us left to drive a friend home, the opposite direction of the crash. As we were getting ready to leave, we heard a woman sobbing horribly in the Sherwood's parking lot, and I believe one of my cousins said he heard her say something about someone being killed in an accident up the road.

We got back around 11:30 and could see the lights from the emergency responders right up the road in front of us. A few guests were just walking back up from Sherwood's and told us what happened. A friend and I thought about walking over and asking the bartender what happened but decided against it, as there was a fair amount of chaos: lots of people going in and out and a bunch of cars left at the same time. That was the last we encountered until we found the news articles in the morning.

I can't say that he was leaving Sherwood's, but it certainly seems that way. We're usually over there on Saturdays for karaoke, so there's a chance we know who he is (we don't know anyone's names except the bartenders and owner). But I do have family that knew him and his family, and my condolences are with them all.

One small reminder, though: drive safely. Granted, any manner of things can go wrong, but still. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment