Saturday, October 31, 2015

A PSA of sorts

It may shock you to learn that keeping this blog isn't exactly a positive, enjoy experience most of the time. It's why updates have become somewhat infrequent--yes, overtime at work is a factor, but sourcing content to post is just...not enjoyable. Not everything that happens here is bad, but it's disheartening to be scrolling through news items and see articles about child abuse, for example.

Almost none of us need reminding of the numerous problem plaguing Fayette County. We see it every day. Some of us live it. Others don't and are fortunate enough to have come from good, loving homes free from issues like drug addiction, abuse, or poverty.

I'm not perfect, but I try not to make fun or pass judgment beyond specific incidents. I don't think it's right or appropriate, and that attitude isn't limited to my own words and actions--I believe all people deserve respect and should be mature enough to show it. I believe one of the county's major problems is the inability to do so paired with the attitude that some people in the county are better than others.

I expect people who comment on posts on my Facebook page (and here, but let's be honest, Facebook is a cesspool), to be respectful. I was disgusted by a comment left on a news article I shared, and I immediately deleted it--and then I immediately regretted it, only because it meant I didn't have it preserved verbatim to discuss it now.

The comment was on an article about a spay and neuter clinic for pets. Someone who thought they were clever--and this is paraphrased, of course--said they hoped the clinic was for women who had children to multiple fathers to get welfare money. I can't say for sure because this was over a week or so ago now, but I believe the actual word used was "whores."

Let me be clear, just in case I haven't already--I absolutely will not tolerate anyone saying such things on my page. I don't think it's ever okay to call a woman a "whore," for starters, or any variation of that word, and it's especially disgusting to compare women to animals and to suggest some should be sterilized, especially when that's a very real thing done to women around the world. I don't think it's ever okay to make assumptions about a woman's children, their father(s), or why those children were brought into this world, especially if you're trying to suggest a woman is intentionally procreating to get more money from the government. If you don't know someone, it's not your place to comment.

You think you're somehow above people on welfare? You're wrong. You think you're above people who are struggling? You're wrong. You think making these statements doesn't make you part of Fayette County's problems? You're wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment