Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sometimes We Do Good Things: Food Drives

When I was a stringer for HeraldStandard.com, the very first article I wrote was about a 13-year-old girl organizing a marathon for charity after the death of her grandfather. I was impressed. At 13, I never thought of doing something like that. I've probably told this story before, but I still love it. Now, another awesome kid is out there doing awesome stuff.

I will always, always be impressed by kids willing to give when most of us adults don't think about it. Sure, we have bills, some of us have families, but how hard is it to even just write out a small check for a good cause? I've decided that every time I sit down to pay bills, I'll be sending a little to charity, too.

But back to the kids! As this little girl's birthday approached, she thought about all the things she was gonna get and how a lot of kids around here aren't as fortunate. And so for her birthday, she asked to collect food and money for a local food bank--instead of gifts. How cool is that? Even cooler, she's only 10.

At her birthday party, she asked everyone to bring food or money. She got $125 and 213 food items, and she's planning another drive for her 11th birthday next fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment