Monday, August 3, 2015

Ah, Fair Season!

Oh, Fayette County. I came to visit both days this weekend, and I legitimately had a good time.

First, I went to Ohiopyle and hiked a trail to Cucumber Falls, where I followed my boyfriend across all sorts of rocks. And while I intended to hit the fair afterward for the annual Clarks performance, I was too worn out, so we went to dinner at Maywood Grill instead. And it was pretty good. I had the penne with vodka sauce, boyfriend had the shepherd's pie, and we coincidentally ran into my newly engaged brother and his fiancée. By the way, if they plan a Fayette County wedding, you can bet I'll be there blogging along the way. Anyway, I highly recommend the buckeye cake. The restaurant in general is a nice little place to grab some food up in the mountains, especially if you're trying to avoid Ohiopyle crowds. It's worth wandering out of the park area, for sure. And keep in mind I've never had a bad meal in the mountains.

I did make it to the fair Sunday, though. I'd love to do a liveblog, but my phone's data plan for the month and bad service in the arena aren't interested. If I end up back there, though, I shall try again!

It was packed Sunday night, for some reason. My mom and I ended up parked almost all the way down at the end of the field by the woods, and we took the shuttle up to the entrance, which actually made for a pretty hilarious ride. It was a good, lively crowd, and there were jokes about the shuttle being the best ride at the fair. If you use the shuttle service, though, guys, please tip your drivers!

My Maywood Grill leftovers weren't enough of a dinner for me, so of course I ate some fair food. I recommend Marilyn's Kitchen's gnocchi, Connellsville band's cheese fries, and basically anyone's lemonade. And of course, basically anyone's haluski, especially if it's made by a church or volunteer fire department.

I was there with my mom to enjoy the annual Hubcaps show, which was great as always. Tribute/cover bands aren't everyone's thing and I totally get that, but if you're up for it, they put on a really good show, and the band's truly packed with talent. I think that might get overlooked because they are a cover band, but I'll praise anyone who can do "I Will Always Love You" justice the way they can. Seriously. I don't take Whitney Houston covers lightly.

Scandals of fairs past are rearing their heads--the livestock barns now have signs up advising owners that animals should be secured for fireworks. And it seems like we can't get through a fair anymore without something tarnishing it, whether that be dirty diapers smeared on car windows or dead horses. This year, we're going strong just a few days in, and we've upgraded to hurting humans!

A fair employee--and I hope now former fair employee--is in the county jail after running over a man with a truck on Saturday.
David Lee Weaver, 55, of Cape Coral, Fl., is charged with aggravated assault, aggravated assault with a vehicle, driving under the influence, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person after allegedly striking Ryan Anthony Graft, causeing severe head injuries and fractures.
I just hope it wasn't a shuttle driver.

Can we make it through the rest of the week without any trouble, guys? I have my heart set on a demo derby and haluski.

And remember, you can't take weapons to the fair, but you can win them there!

No comments:

Post a Comment