Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Oh, Brownsville

First, Donate to the arts! Rob only has eight days left to raise over $1,000, and I know there's enough of you reading right now to make that happen. Also, I'm guessing Fayette Friends of Animals still needs canned dog and cat food. Even if they don't technically need it anymore, they're not exactly going to turn it down.

So, a mom is suing Brownsville School District for punishing her daughter for refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, suing might be a little extreme. On the other hand, it sounds like that's the only way these ladies are going to get the school district to listen. Because really, why does a kid need to be punished for this? She's not acting out, and she's will within her rights. I mean, lunch detention and in-school suspension for not reciting the pledge? Really? I'm actually impressed that a 13-year-old is paying attention to politics and is finding her own ways to peacefully express her opinions. When I was 13, I was a raging bitch. Not even my dad's deployments made me very aware until a few years later.

Two years ago, a Brownsville teacher was suspended after a picture of her with a stripper at a bachelorette party popped up on Facebook. While that's a bigger deal and understandably a potential problem, Brownsville does seem to have its conduct standards. They just went a little too far this time.

About that teacher, though: I realize that teachers are important and they're role models and need to behave accordingly, but since when did we start expecting our teachers to be Jesus? If they're good teachers and their conduct with students and colleagues is appropriate, why should their personal lives be our business? Would a male teacher have ben reprimanded the same way? Why does nudity freak people out so much? Why do we pretend that no one goes to strip clubs? Teachers have done worse, which around here means stories of teachers previously or currently abusing drugs. I hope this all took place at Gloria's.

No comments:

Post a Comment