Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lots of Stuff Happening

It's getting warm and it's getting fun--drive-ins are opening, Vinny's is open, and there's all kinds of random activities going on, including lots of outdoorsy stuff. Maybe this will be the year I actually buy a bike like I've said I'm going to for 3-4 summers in a row now and hit them bike trails.

  • Speaking of bikes--but cool bikes, not like the Barbie bike I could use if I still had it--there's a bike run benefitting Fayette Friends of Animals on June 8 leaving from the Paint Room in Connellsville. I haven't written about the Paint Room, but it's a fun place. Think a small Bud Murphy's.
  • Connellsville Lions Club is hosting their annual rabies clinic on Saturday, April 27 from 2-4 p.m. $10 per pet done by Dr. Howard Markle. Howie happens to be my friends dad, and he is wonderful, as evidenced by the fact that we all call him Howie.
  • Cornerstone Care is having spaghetti dinner to benefit its “Dancing with a Pink Ribbon” project from 3 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, May 1 at the Salvation Army Building (second floor) in Uniontown. $7 per plate for adults, $4 per plate for children12 and under. Includes pasta, salad, bread, and dessert. Dine in or carry out. For advance tickets, contact Sheila Shea, outreach coordinator for Dancing with a Pink Ribbon, at 724-323-3537. Also known as "Ways to keep Janelle from having to cook her own damn dinner."
  • H&R Block in Uniontown recently held a two-day food drive for the Fayette County Community Action Agency, Inc (FCCAA) Food Bank. Over 720 pounds of food were donated, so great job helping out, dudes! 
  • Guided wildflower hike at Ohiopyle on Saturday, April 20 at 10:00 a.m. Meet at the Cucmber Falls parking lot and hike the Great Gorge trail. I'd go, but I've already planned my first ever Record Store Day pilgrimage. Unfortunately, as I know of no record stores in the Nam, I can't recommend you join me--I'm going to Pittsburgh. But I do remember when both of our malls boasted National Record Marts. And pet stores.
  • Keno's Hawaiian Shaved Ice in Uniontown is planning their season opening for the first Saturday in May. I've never been there.
  • The SPCA needs laundry detergent and disposable gloves. Help wash bedding for the puppies!
  • Rob Hensley will be reading at the library on Connellsville on April 29, followed by a discussion on bullying. I'm planning on being there!
  • The library is also hosting an event for teens on Wednesday, April 17 from 4-7:30 p.m. with refreshments,Wii Gaming, computers or BYOD (wifi-bring your own device).

No comments:

Post a Comment