Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fine Dining: The Grotto

First, a story.

I spent my 21st birthday on the Mighty Yough. The river was low thanks to a lack of rain, but we didn't realize just how long it would take us to float to Dawson. We set out in the early afternoon. Within a few hours, we were starving. I did get thrown a beer by a guy fishing in Dawson, but by then it was early evening and our options for restaurants that served both food and alcohol and would give me alcohol while accompanied by a few minors were limited. Plus we had to make it there before the kitchen closed. This led us to The Grotto, which was new at the time. It took the place of Garfield's at the mall. High. Class.

I got a pina colada, which was strong. I've since discovered they make all their drinks strong, but the mango daiquiri is the best so far.

The food is also always really good. They have great spinach dip that comes in a bread bowl, so when you run out of pitas, you can use the bread. Unless, of course, you are me and have a serious problem with soggy bread.

Truth be told, I can't say too much about their food because for one, I'm a vegetarian. And then I have this habit of saying, "I should try something new" and ordering pasta. But hey, it's good pasta!

I know that people really like their burgers.

I've never seen them super busy, like any moderately priced place in the county. Except Applebee's. Applebee's draws a crowd. I think that maybe the Boston Beanery or Rosa Pizza get the most business. So I have no idea why they were so incredibly slow the night of Geibel's musical, other than the universe wants me to be late for everything ever and we decided every other place would be slow or packed. Seriously, Eat 'N' Park is a joke some nights. Anyway, it took us 45 minutes to get our food, which did not include our dip that we were still charged for. Don't worry--we asked for it in a take-out box. But still, what's the deal, Grotto?

Aside from that, it's a pretty good place to go. It's a good middle ground between casual and nice.

I still need to check out the new hibachi place, also in the mall, and the Vietnamese place, not in the mall but down the road from our lone gay bar.

Oh, hey, you should also like my Facebook page. My dad just did, and I'm not even Facebook friends with him.

  The Grotto Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment