- Christian Clay Winery on March 9th from 1-4pm is holding Celtic Fest with entertainment by Mike Gallagher, wine tasting, Irish Beef Stew, Bread & Cupcakes. $20.00 per person. Reservations required--call 724-439-3424
- May 18th brings the National Road 5K Run/Walk in the City of Uniontown. Race starts at 6:30pm. Pre-Registration fee is $20.00; registration after May 3, is $25.00. For more info, email email@example.com
- The high-school musicals are hard to keep up with, but Laurel Highlands' is this weekend. They're doing The Wizard of Oz, and I'm gonna try to be there at some point. Geibel is doing Les Miserables next weekend, and I definitely will be there Saturday. Heads up: many male leads have been switched to female parts because dudes just because Geibel doesn't have male interest. My junior musical was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, most of the brothers were girls, and it was awesome.
- The Fayette County Community Action Agency has all kinds of walks and things coming up next weekend. Check them out.
- Fayette Friends of Animals is asking for donations of PetSmart gift cards, regular collars, and Martingale training collars. Help them out!
- Geibel favorite Mr. O has a daughter who will be the pianist for a concerto written for her and an ensemble on April 5 in D.C.
- Here's a new musical act to check out--Sammy Brooks Band. You may have heard them at 30 East Main.
And finally, in keeping with the discussion of small businesses and the county's economic troubles, you can get a Buy Local card that'll get you discounts at local business, including the Boston Beanery, Meloni's, Pechins, Bud Murphy's, Colebrook Chocolate, the aforementioned winery, Geyer Theater, State Theater, Jackson Farms, John Rutter, Joyce's Jewelry, J. Paul's, Neubauer's, Nemacolin, and the Titlow. Some discounts are only good on certain items or certain days, but as they say, a penny saved is a penny earned.
Meanwhile, we're still looking at an impending 5-8 inches of snow tonight. Brace yourselves.I leave you with this gem about "deer crossing" signs. This doesn't involve the Nam, but we're very familiar with deer. Best of all, though, the level of stupidity here is astounding.